When you are hiring someone, you can spend a lot of time with interviewing job candidates who that don’t meet your needs before you manage to interview the one who does. One way that you can make your search go a bit faster is by using the phone screen interview. A candidate’s answers to the phone screening interview questions can allow you to immediately identify the most promising candidates.
The process can be really straightforward: Once you’ve used candidates’ resumes in order to narrow down the applicant pool for your job opening, then schedule each of those candidates for just a brief phone screen interview. This step can help you save the time and trouble that involved in meeting them and interviewing job candidates who, despite having strong resumes, might not meet all your needs.
The answers to the quick phone screen interview questions might tell you a lot about whether an applicant is likely to have the right mix of skills and experience for the position that you are currently looking for and a work style that will suit your workplace. And a relatively impromptu phone call can give you quite a better idea of the candidate’s interpersonal skills than the formal, rehearsed interview would.
Here are some examples of good phone screen interview questions:
- Tell me a little bit about yourself.
- Why do you want this job?
- How would you describe your work style?
- What is a typical day like at your current (or most recent) job?
- What reasons do you have for leaving your current (or most recent) job?
- What skills have you learned recently?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- How do you see yourself contributing in this position?
- What do you hope to get out of this job?
- What questions do you have for me?